Egyptian Ph.D. Dissertation Research Fellowship Guidelines
ARCE will offer two fellowships for Egyptian Ph.D. Dissertation Research Fellows in the 2022-2023 academic year. Each researcher will be selected for a one-year term beginning October 1, 2022 through September 30, 2023.
- The dissertation research fellowship will be open to Egyptian citizens currently enrolled in a doctoral program at an Egyptian public university, whose dissertation research project has already been approved by their advisor.
- Dissertation research may be situated in any period of Egyptian civilization from prehistory to the present day.
- Eligible research fields should fall within the scope of ARCE’s mission including but not limited to: archaeology, classics, anthropology, architecture, art history, history, philology, epigraphy, historical geography, language, Arabic literature and Comparative literature, and religion.
Responsibilities of Researchers:
- The Egyptian Ph.D. Dissertation Research Fellow is expected to participate in the academic life of the center, attend fellows’ meetings and present a public in-person or virtual lecture on their research.
- As a deliverable at the end of Year 1, the Egyptian Ph.D. Dissertation Research Fellow is required to submit an article to the Scribe (ARCE membership magazine) and submit a 10-page fellowship report to ARCE.
- Publications resulting from this fellowship must acknowledge ARCE, and recipients must provide ARCE with a digital or hard-copy of any publications resulting from this research. Recipients grant ARCE permission to use reports or publications in ARCE publications, the ARCE website/social media accounts and/or marketing materials for promotional purposes.
- ARCE will provide the Egyptian Ph.D. Dissertation Research Scholar with library privileges, meeting space if requested, and Internet access at the Cairo Center.
- ARCE will provide administrative services as offered to other ARCE fellows, guidance on publishing his/her research, organize a public lecture to present his/her research, and include him/her in fellows’ activities and meetings.
- A modest monthly honorarium of 2200 EGP will be provided.
How to Apply:
- The application submission must include:
- A completed online application form (available July 2022)
- A 1500-word research proposal, written in English; the proposal must be accompanied by a bibliography of one to two pages, listing the main primary and secondary sources for the Ph.D. dissertation.
- A document certifying your current enrollment in a Ph.D. Program at an Egyptian national university. (may be a letter or another format)
- A resume (CV) in English.
- Two recommendation letters from Egyptian and/or foreign scholars who are familiar with your research. One must be your dissertation advisor. Letters may be written in English or Arabic.
Application available on July 15 here
For questions/inquiries email: email@example.com