ARCE Digital Humanities Fellowship Application Guidelines

This two-year fellowship will support the work of candidates who hold at minimum a MA and/or MSc in the humanities, social sciences, or data science, with specializations in archaeology, cultural resource management, or Egyptology.

The ARCE Digital Humanities Fellow will reside in Cairo, Egypt for the duration of their two-year fellowship and will spend the 60% of their time on their own research project and the other 40% coordinating the content development of the Theban Mapping Project website. The fellowship provides time to pursue independent research while contributing to the Theban Mapping Project.

Applicants must demonstrate how they actively employ digital technologies in their research and/or work. This may include (but is not limited to) mapping, textual analysis, data visualization, programming and code management, public scholarship, and digital collections management. The fellowship is intended to advance the humanities, particularly in the use of digital technology and offer emerging scholars an opportunity for growth and professional development in this rapidly expanding field.

About The Theban Mapping Project:

The Theban Mapping Project (TMP) has been working in Thebes and particularly the Valley of the Kings for nearly three decades. The project and its focus have changed a lot over this period of time and even now the Theban Mapping Project continues to develop and expand.

TMP mission statement: The purpose of the Theban Mapping Project is to design and implement existing condition reports and management plans for the archaeological sites of the Theban Necropolis.  The website makes available the TMP’s maps, drawings, images, and descriptions to provide an authoritative resource for scholars, students, teachers, on-site inspectors, and tourists.  Its goals are to enhance visitors experience, support long-term preservation, facilitate study, and more effectively manage one of the world’s most valuable archaeological treasures.

Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences, Data Science with specializations in archaeology, cultural resource management, or Egyptology. Other fields may be considered.


  • Applicant must be an American citizen
  • Applicants must have completed an MA or MSc prior to October 1, 2022 from an accredited university in the U.S. or abroad
  • Applicants must be available to reside in Egypt
  • Applicants must demonstrate prior experience employing digital technologies in their research and/or work
  • Applicants must propose an independent research project that may cover any aspect of Egyptian heritage and are not limited to Pharaonic heritage or history.

Award: Monthly per diem $2,200 plus round-trip economy airfare not to exceed $1800 (one RT ticket annually). If awarded to a postdoctoral applicant, a modest supplement will be added to the monthly per diem (TBD).

The Application: A completed ARCE Digital Humanities Fellowship application consists of the following components:

  • An online application form
  • A one-page summary of your experience with digital technologies and projects
  • A one-page abstract of your MA/MSc thesis or PhD dissertation
  • A 1,500-word research proposal that:
  • Describes the research objectives and methodology(ies)
  • Describes the scholarly significance of your research, its unique contribution to the field and your qualifications to undertake the proposed research
  • Assesses the feasibility of completing your research within the proposed timeframe
  • Describes the final publication format of your research – digital or print
  • A curriculum vitae (not to exceed 2-3 pages)
  • Visit the Theban Mapping Project here

    Application Opens January 17, 2022

    Submission Deadline: March 17, 2022 11:59 PM PST.

    Apply here